Monday, January 6, 2014



Post 132 The Lovely Amaryllis

In this shot, getting ready for its debut, about 5 days from the first bloom.  Amaryllis is one of two types of bulbs from the genus Hippeastrum, known for its ability to bloom indoors during the winter months. 
 
The bulbs from South Africa are quite large; softball-sized and come in a variety of colors though in the winter months in the U.S., mostly white, red, pink or a combination bloom for those.  Right now, they are cheap-cheap-cheap in the after-holiday sales, even at the big box hardware stores.  In moderate climates, you can throw them in the dirt outside and they will return as perennials.


This this bloom series last holiday season at cousin's house in Tennessee where we enjoyed daily displays of growth in the large kitchen window.

Just like us, if we are planted in good fertile soil, get the right combination of sun and nutrients we too, can grow and bloom where we are planted.


I am seeing what happens here in Florida.  We had a series of about 4 days without sunshine and I admit to noticing it acutely.  I did go to the beach, though I got rained out two weeks ago.  Last weekend, it was overcast and windy at 60 degrees but I got a lot of interesting shells.
 


I go to a particular beach a lot so I have noticed that there are shells that are indigenous to the Florida Gulf area but then, there are shells that are particular to a specific beach or strand of beaches.  Thus, when I saw a lot of different shells on the same beach last weekend, I was really surprised.

Along with them, I kept seeing something that looked like a mandible, some had teeth, but what was it?  I took a piece across the street to a swim shop, found a post card with shells and Florida sea animals and discovered I had pieces of a of a Modern Bull Shark!  Several of them were on the beach.
 
Tip for tourists:  dolphins cavort and basically hop in and out of the water, their fins and bodies going up then down, up, then down.  If you see fins that go straight across the water in a straight line, get out!  Those are sharks.  I wondered why there were so many jaw bones that were on the shore at one time.
 
Well, back to our Amaryllis, it just grows on the end of a long stalk, about a foot high, producing one pod then two or three that then open one at a time.  The brilliant blooms last about 3 to 4 days each.  You can pick off the spent blooms so the energy goes to the ones just opening.
 
Next time, I will post my new note cards that I have for sale.  This batch is of Florida beach scenes.  If you don't want to wait, go to my shop on Etsy:
 
Until then, start a new Thankful and Grateful list, make a prayer lift-list of things you want to come to pass this year.  Get out the one you did last year and see how much more was given in your life than you even knew you needed or asked for.

Oh, and be ye thankful.
I am, for you!