Friday, July 19, 2013


Post 121:  Hollis Gardens
Lakeland, Florida

Greetings from the land of sunshine!  I've applied a new look to the blog and added the note card selections that are available at this time.  Ordering information is at the bottom of the blog page.  Thanks for your suggestions and support!
 
Today, I am featuring a public garden that rests about 30 miles East of Tampa in the township of Lakeland, just off I-4 East on the way to Orlando.

I wanted to also reiterate that all the photographs are unaltered from their original state.  The wonderful water droplets and sunshine you see in the lily pad shot above are exactly how it occurred when I took the picture.  In fact, I could not even see how the droplets were shining like diamonds until I got it loaded into the computer.  Sometimes, a super photo occurs and I think that this is one of them.  A card in the making?

My feeling has always been that I want to convey the beauty of what God has given us and that we can learn to look at the detail, which only gives us deeper beauty, not flaws.  A reminder as we look closely at one another, yes?
 
 
 
 
The 1.2 acre garden was donated to the city of Lakeland, who is its caretaker. It is closed Monday but open all other days and it is free.  It also has picnic areas, fountain water play and recreational equipment for kids and nestles its feet into Mirror Lake.  If you have never seen a formal garden, meaning, designed and orchestrated in a linear format, it is a great example. 
 
 
 
Along the paths you will find sculptures, pergolas, fountains, a small butterfly garden, a koi pond, benches for taking in the view and a just-opened small bistro that serves a tall cool lemonade, delicious sandwiches and desserts. 
 
 


From roses to Royal Palms, trailing squash and just about anything Floridian in-between, it is a lush and vibrant spot.
 

 





Tucked into corners are shady areas with fern and towering bamboo that spill out into riot of summer colors that are terraced down to the walking path around Lake Mirror.
 
 
 
I hope you enjoy the tour!
 
The job situation?  Had a third interview with a company today so thanks for holding a "YES!" in your thoughts and prayers for me.
 


Until next time, take time out to smell the flowers, take in the view.  Also, my latest idea is to take site-specific pictures like these and then develop custom cards for that entity.  Let me know if you have a place that you feel would be a good candidate for cards!