Wednesday, September 21, 2011

More of the Good Stuff: go there more often!


Lake Boathouse

   As we tumble toward full fall and losing blooms, the cold snap of a frost, I am compelled to remind myself to seek after peace, rest and joy.  To get in that place with God (or for my friend who worships Saint Bob Dylan), that is bigger than ourselves. Practice going there so when we need a "get out of life free" card, we can, in a blink of a thought, go to where there is peace, rest and joy.  When there is turmoil or pressure and things beyond our control and we need an anchor, our best and first advocate is inside us.
   Waa, waa, waa ..."Who will advocate for me?  Who will help me?" I have found myself saying these things this week.  Even when we are married, (maybe especially?), we learn that our rescue is ourself, not our spouse.  A spouse or significant other can help but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, we have to do our own maintenance and find strength in our own way.  We have to have our own connection to something outside of ourself that is the conduit to Being Fixed or Being Better that is only between me and that thing, not me and another person. 
  I am reminded in Philippians 8, that after I pray and give things to God (or Bob) as we are instructed in verse 4, we think on "whatsoever things are pure, lovely, good report, if there be an virtue or any praise, think on these things"..."then peace will be with you". 
  It is an act of our own thinking to go to that happy place, to focus on the things outside of what is going on to get our peace.  As we do this, then what we seek, will follow.
 Sometimes, we need to remove ourselves and go away, like my little vacation to the northern shores where I gathered all these wonderful pictures and memories with my friend.  Sometimes (most times) our vacation is inside the head, it starts there.
  Sometimes, we need encouragement from friends; they can help us with some of the burdens but most times, our burdens are our own. We are the only ones who can process for and await the change we seek.
  I need small things to initiate this and be encouraged along that way. Perhaps you are like this?  A time to look at a few pictures,  time to just sit and enjoy a view wherever you are. Time just rubbing the dog's soft spot behind his ear that makes him lean into your hand with joy. Pick something to focus on outside of the turmoil and then as you do this, as you begin to move forward, the peace will come. 
  What helps us in the future, is how we bank these things now.  I don't know about you, but I need big withdrawals from my account of peace, joy and rest, so I had better get to replenishing my account!