Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bloom of the Day: Fall-blooming Clematis (Terniflora)


  Fall-blooming Clematis (genus) ...here is the pedigree:  part of the Ranunculaceae (family) and the Terniflora (species) that can be found all over the eastern part of the U.S. from Kansas to the East; in both the North and the South, California and then in Canada.  I first enjoyed it in a little community that had a lot of multi-color gingerbread type houses with gables, fish-scale shingles and lovely cottage gardens.  In sun or shade, it mixes well with other climbers.  I put two kinds of morning glory and the tiny red cardinal climber all on the same fence.
  While it is true that it is prolific and therefore invasive, it is also very beautiful and fragrant to boot.  If you can contain it; either by yanking out new growth, or, planting it pot and all into your prepared area; "hole in the ground" by any other name, it will give you much joy for many fall seasons.
  Seasonal change is something we cannot control and so when I begin to see subtle changes in the landscape from one season to another, it fills me with joy to know that I cannot, in fact, control everything about my environment.  Truth be told, there is not a lot that we do control, we just think so!
  Not still High Summer, I am seeing gold appear in the leaves and undergrowth along the highways, not only here in Kentucky, but in the states I travel for business:  Tennessee, Mississippi, West Virginia and Arkansas.  The sky becomes that deep cerulean blue, mornings turn cool enough for a jacket (Hooray!) and somewhere, deep within, I think we are glad of the change.
  We have had a hot summer here, pretty much with adequate water until the last few weeks.  The coolness feels good on my skin.  The light has begun to change not only in its appearance in the color scale but a little bit later in the morning, a little earlier in the evening.
  Did you hear it?  That collective sigh of mothers everywhere with the recognition that "School has started!".  There is something to said about how order and routine affects us.  God put order into motion; big things first, all the way down to the tiniest of the kingdom.  When things are in disarray, we do not feel good, order is really what we crave, I think.  We all work within parameters of what is comfortable for ourselves at home and in office.  I am a preemptive worker.  I like to know what is coming and to control my own time so when I cannot, I have to take a step back and remember that I cannot control all of my universe.
  When the kiddos go back to school there are routines that are followed so that they are successful; play time, dinner time, homework time, bath time, bed time.  As that famous author once reminded us, many things that are successful in life, we learned when we were kids... Say you are sorry before you go to sleep, eat well, sleep well, plan ahead.
  Now that my daughter has graduated High School early, I am watching to see how she orders her own life, or not. 
  "Down the garden path" is a good thing in life, I think. Have a path, stay on it most of the time, allow for vearing off for something new and exciting, expect a few bumps but learn to go around them, over them or through them.   Stay out of the tall weeds, watch out for vipers, plant perinnial seeds, dead-head for vibrant new growth, fertilize, cultivate, ahhhh, rest for a season!
  Starting tomorrow, I am going "Up North" as they say in northern states, with a friend to her family home up on Lake Huron.  I am happily going to participate in a "Work Day" or two at this cabin built in 1933 in exchange for beautiful lake vistas and whatever grows on the shores of that great lake!
  Will send something back during the journey~~

No comments:

Post a Comment