Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tour of the Southern South



Well, sometimes you just try to go the extra mile when you do not feel like it.  I am just back from vacation and most anyone can tell you that if you are a person still working at a job out of the home, you try to "Keep that vacation feeling" no matter what comes up upon your return.  That would be so today.  The work-work was at overload point and the blog writing afterward was tipping the scales. Thanks be to the Lord of the universe for prevailing!

Not to be deterred, I want to report that I had a lovely time with family and friends.  Saw the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta; son and a group of his friends ran it, and then down on the beach at Isle of Palms, SC, I saw a man wearing the shirt. He was proud to tell me that he ran it successfully.

Isle of Palms, I discovered as we went over the suspension bridge, is a place that I have taken my children to before but I had forgotten that I had been there.  It was a sad time in my life and I was there but not really present though I did remember the the low country sloughs (pronounced "sluffs") which are water pathways through tall grasses.








Beach volley ball in progress


We also spent a few hours in Charleston, though not long.  Away from the ocean, the 103 degree temps felt like 110 and we did not last long with street clothes on. 



We did, however, enjoy the more recognizable Waterfront Park and the pineapple fountain, as well as the lovely live oaks in Battery Park. Quercus virginiana is its official name and is recognizable by its twisty-turny branches. It was used in ship building because of those very attributes, specifically was specifically used to make curved structural members of the hull, such as knee braces (single-piece, inverted L-shaped braces that spring inward from the side and support a ship's deck) says Wikipedia.



In many places, you will also see the spanish moss that hangs around in it, as well. (Tillandsia usneoides) is a flowering plant that grows upon larger trees, commonly the Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) or Bald Cypress .  It is not actually a lichen or a moss but an angiosperm.   It propagates both by seed and vegetatively by fragments that blow on the wind and stick to tree limbs, or are carried by birds as nesting material.  You just don't know what you will learn here on Bloomsinthegarden; I learn a lot every day.

Somebody will ask "Well, what's that?"  "Dunno", says I, lets find out.  Sometimes, as my friend's husbands says "Just call the darn thing "a bush" and be done with it".  Sometimes, we just look at the awesome beauty of it.



Charleston, SC is one such place that has so much beauty, even at 100 degrees or more, that you can go back, time and again.


















I also visited Greenville, SC but that is for another day. Fabulous tribute to the 911 firemen at their local firehouse.



Travelling for a day or so, so until next time, find something to hang on to that Vacation Feeling with...carefree, worries tucked away in the closet in a hat box way back on the top shelf.

How about making daily life full of less worries putting more on the top shelf than out on our plate.


Take a gander at this gardenia that I picked and put at my bedside at my dear friends' home in Greenville.  What a fragrant beauty that was!  Read a book, listened to the curtains sussurating on the window sill and went to sleep.  Quiet and deep peaceful sleep.

And be ye thankful...

No comments:

Post a Comment