Monday, June 11, 2012

All kinds of things!

Bowl of Antique and Shrub Rose with Bee Balm
All kinds of blooms!  I walked through the symphony garden today and saw a bright yellow Daylily bigger than my hand, the red Bee Balm (Monardia) in full bloom.  It smells like lemon and has a very clear scent.

The lovely Queen Anne's Lace bloom (see last season's blog on same) are just coming out to dance in the light of the moon with the orange Daylily that I talked about last blog.

"Pop" went ruby-red Holly Hock, so tall and stately. By the way, this is a bi-annual bloomer so if you plant seeds now, you will not see them until the second summer (which you may forget about!) so the way around that, is to plant seeds now, but buy one in bloom and plant it now.  You will have the 'now and later' of it.  
Another one of my favorites, the Cleome,  which has five leaves to its pattern.  I will provide more pictures of this unusual bloom as it matures.  No particular fragrance, with thorny and sticky stems to boot, but it grows fairly tall as a vertical backdrop to the garden and is striking. 

We finally got some rain today so in the next few days, I will be squeezing in some weeding, lawn mowing and other household tasks as I work from my kitchen table this week.

Nothing like being at home in your own little bed, saying hello to friends and catching up!

What are your favorite things of summer, now that we approach the Solstice?  We don't have them yet, but I love fresh tomatoes, sliced very thinly sprinkled with salt and pepper, a fresh firm peach to eat...these are future joys, so my present ones are just to be home.

I am trying to be at home in my heart.  You know, when you want things to be that are not yet, that "Waiting on the Lord" business.  It is not always your own time table though we would like it to be.  If we can turn those mountains and flop them under to stair step over the obstacle we are waiting to be moved or are waiting resolution for, perhaps that will help our perspective.

Sometimes, a different view may give you a different perspective.  When blooms are a little past their prime but still lovely, I often cut them and float them in a bowl of water to give them more time to do their beauty.  I love having blooms all over the house, it is joy to my soul.  It feeds an nourishes me so I like to think that the blooms continue doing their work by giving me beauty which gives me peace.  That is when the answers come you know, on quiet seas. There is joy and peace in believing, so if you are not peaceful, take a step back.

Until then, take stock, take a breath, find something to enjoy around you and carry on, your carrying on.

Until next time!

Yellow Daylily
Monardia or Bee Balm

Red HollyHock
Just opened Queen Anne's Lace

Cleome, just opened

No comments:

Post a Comment