Friday, July 29, 2011

Bloom of the Day: Bleeding Heart

 In pink or white, a lovely woodland or shade flower perennial, a "Grandma's garden" favorite, the Bleeding Heart is found in many gardens in early spring.  Each bloom dangles daintily along a sturdy branch, capturing spring rains and early morning dew.
 I bring it out today because even though the sun is a hundred degrees and is in the peak of summer, our hearts are not always at their fullest in the "happy zone" of the spectrum.  Sometimes we need a bit of shade, a rest, a place to refresh ourselves to begin anew.
 There is a verse in First Timothy that encourages us to take heed unto thyself in care of all that we do, so that we can continue to do "all that" activity we are accustomed to doing. It; taking heed, is also an encouragement to stop and consider if you really need to be doing "all that" which is wearing you out!  There was a time in my life that I thought I should mount toothbrush holders in the car because we were going to this activity and that, all the time!
 As a single mom, I worked for years doing several jobs but found that when I did not take time to keep myself rested; not only in body, but in my soul, my heart of hearts, I could not give to anyone else very effectively.  I needed to and did take a step back from everything that was in the mixing bowl of life and asked myself "Just how much of this really needs to be done, needs to be attended, needs to even be considered?"
 Sometimes, we just need a time and a place to refresh ourselves.  It may even take a conversation to our self to give ourselves the option of rest and refreshment.  Being the youngest, two of my three siblings are in retirement so while I cannot speak for them, as a retired friend said to me tonight "Every day is Saturday to me!"  I cannot yet imagine what that will be like.
 Some people like to take time to do a retreat (shouldn't we call them "advance", to move our life forward?) or a time of solitude or a time devoted to hearing teachings, either in a group or just a single setting.  Even if you do not worship in a particular place, the body needs time to refuel, rest, and refresh itself.
 Sometimes, we should push the "refresh" key on the keyboard of life.  Get a new view, a new perspective.  Maybe that includes a conversation or two with friends.  Maybe it is with a new friend.  Maybe it is with that something greater than ourselves.  I call that "God", but I had a friend who used to have all manner of religious icons in a specific place of prayer in her house and just spoke to "The Holy One".  For some, it is solitude in a quiet walk.
  "Bleeding Heart" in political connotation in times past meant someone whose politics was very liberal or permissive, with largess.  A lot of people get a lot of benefit.  Perhaps we need a "refresh" on that concept and recognize that sometimes people's hearts could be in a place that they need rest and refurbishment.  The "benefit" of a Bleeding Heart might just be a caution sign to tread lightly with our friend, let them be in the shade of life for a day or two.
 I used to have a friend, who when I would call after a time like this, I would ask "Is it you?" and if she answered "Yes!" I knew that all was well with her and her world again. If not, I could just say "Well, know that I am thinking of you and I will check in with you next week".
 I ask you to consider yourself or your garden friend who may need a shady place to be; offer a cup of tea to her or to that nice woman in your mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment